Thursday, May 6, 2010

Journey to Poznań

In dreams always my family home appears – in the town where I was born and grew up.

Perhaps it shows that I don’t see Poznań as completely “my” place yet. My kids were born here, here I graduated and worked and just here I’m taking my first steps in crafting.

Larger cities have their own energy, frequently stimulate big human [rat] races, but also induce to be creative in your own way. They favor as well as encourage brave people.

I enjoy being a tourist in my city: finding new nooks, looking above the sight line of a typical passer-by, taming favorite places, creating the history. I like flash mobs – anonymity in a seemingly organized mob. I see my membership in the local community as a privilege, but also as an occasion to express myself. Poznań makes it possible. In a shopping center I’m more often an observer than a customer; in zoo I’m strolling instead of rushing the kids through the zoo in an obligatory annual visit for peace’ sake; in cafes I sit down with a book or a piece of paper; even children’s playground is a space full of inspiration – to draw a pig on the sand is enough to engage all little hands in the same.

My places?

Politechnika Poznańska – most of all fondness and memories

SPOT – a mosaic-place – creative, inspiring point

ZOO – kind of wild, disordered, easy to hide in; firmly focuses your thoughts around “what should be changed here”, but charms as it is

Stary Rynek – a pavement to break your heels, by-streets, craning to see the goats, chasing pigeons, occasional craft stalls


Śródka and OstrówTumski – a bit like a forgotten world

Stary Browar – not boutiques, but architectural details – new ones discovered constantly with delight and surprise, an impressive incubator of creative ideas

Polankaour first months together [it’s already been 9 years], with a barking dog awakening us from a near-by garden on lazy Sunday morning; we managed to come back here after 6 years.

It is and it will be my city. I'm taking it in here and now. Will you?

Karolina


4 comments:

  1. I've been in Poznań once, but only for one day. We visited Stary rynek :) Thanks for taking me there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been in Poznan a few times. Always without the possibility to see what gives this city atmosphere. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to Poznan yet, but having read your article I decided I have to go there as soon as possible. It seems really nice scrap of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My beutiful beloved city... great photostory!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Last Month popular posts